Attempt to describe yourself in a paragraph
In the tutorial I found this task quite difficult, so I made a list of core personality traits that I thought best described me. They were:
passionate, perfectionist, sensitive, friendly, withdrawn, considerate, a little worrisome at times, observant and that occasionally I can be impulsive, impatient and a little bit sarcastic.
10 Attributes of a creative person
I find that because I am a perfectionist I tend to be very disciplined whilst I am working, so I show responsibility through my hard work. As I stated above, I tend to be withdrawn and quiet, I like to be on my own when I am working and I think I can stand being alone, yet I love to spend time with my friends and family, so this shows both introversion and extroversion. I am very passionate about my work, if I think I have a good, original idea I will stick with it, yet I will also seek feedback and criticism from other people so I have different opinions and don’t lose interest in the task.
- In terms of creativity I would definitely say that I am very energetic, once I get into the work and I find that I am enjoying it I will work for a long period of time. Yet I will often stop to rest or do something else.
- I would say that I am naive, I like to question things, and I am definitely in a state of wonder about the world at times.
- As stated above, in my discipline I tend to be very focused on my work once I get into it, and at times very hard working because I want to achieve my best. Although I sometimes stress about my work, I find that when I don’t have anything to worry about I can be very relaxed or have a light and playful attitude.
- I’d like to think that I am imaginative, if I wasn’t than I probably wouldn’t pursue a career in art.
- I am definitely introverted in the sense that I actually like to be by myself sometimes, especially to do my work. Yet I love to spend time with friends and family and I can be extroverted when I am with them.
- I definitely do not take compliments well and I’m very modest when people compliment my work.
- I don’t think that I am both masculine and feminine at the same time. I find that sometimes I am submissive yet at the same time if things are not getting done I will get slightly annoyed and take on a bit more of a leadership role.
- In relation to visual arts, I like ‘traditional’ forms of art, yet I am open to trying more contemporary styles. Also I am a firm believer in learning the basic and traditional ways of painting and drawing etc to begin with.
- I think that if I wasn’t passionate about my work I wouldn’t be in that field, I like to hear feedback and constructive criticism about my work to see if I am on the right track.
- Everyone goes through some kind of “pain/suffering.” It isn’t really something that drives me to paint or draw. Although I describe myself as a sensitive person, I can take criticism and just move on.
Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1996). The Creative Personality. Creativity: Flow and the psychology of discovery and invention. New York: HarperCollins.